Sweet potato fries are not only a TASTY alternative to normal fries, but they are also a healthier alternative. Obviously something that has been doused in oil or fat is never going to be HEALTHY, but it’s definitely better for you than it’s older brother, the normal potato. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of beta carotene, which is that great vitamin that makes carrots so bloody good for you. When I first tried Sweet potato fries I really couldn’t get the knack of it, but lucky I have finally found out how to get them crispy.
Sweet potatoes. How many is up to you, how many you are cooking for and how hungry you are.
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of All Spice
1. Wash the sweet potato. Remember potatoes come from the ground, so anything could of happened to them pre-sweet potato fries. Some people take the skin off, and it really is personally preference, but I feel they cook better with the skin on. Bearing this in mind, please seriously scrub your potatoes. I don’t want anyone inadvertently eating fertilizer and blaming my recipe.
2. Chop the ends off, as these bits are not really very pleasant. You can still keep the rest of the skin on. When you have done this, HALVE to potato. Yes, halving the potato will mean your fries are not as long as anything you would get in McDonalds, but I have found myself this is the key to ensuring they stay crispy and not floppy.
3. Once you have done this, cut each half into a few wedge shapes. Please be careful with your fingers during this course of action, ad your fries will be about the same size so if you lose one in your batch of sweet potato fries it really will take a while to find it.
4. Once you have done this it is a good time to put some oil in your pan and put it in the oven to heat up. Now put all of your fries in a bowl and pour some olive oil on them.
5. Once you have coated with oil and given them a good mix up, you can put your salt, pepper and all spice on them. Again mix them round in the bowl.
6. Once you have coated them good and proper, put them in the hot pan of oil and cook for 35 to 45 mins on about 200 degrees. Once they are cooked, you will have lovely, crispy sweet treats that you don’t have to feel as guilty about as normal wedges. Yay!