4 Healthy Egg Recipes for Breakfast
*This post contains affiliate links from Amazon.
The constant turnaround between being in lockdown and not being in lockdown can take it’s toll on your physical health. God, if I told you some of the shit I was getting up to in the first lockdown while dealing with being severely anaemic and having endometriosis, you’d think I was the world’s biggest moron. The the last lockdown, I’d just got out of hospital for a bad reaction to promethazine (honestly, my life is like Eastenders), so I was being EXTRA careful about my health. This latest lockdown, I’ve had my Goldilocks moment. I’m not forcing anything on myself, but I’ve been managing to walk 30k a day. I’ve also decided to try and eat more mindfully. I’m not eating to lose weight or anything, but if we ARE all stuck in until the vaccine starts making some moves, I might as well use the time to eat well, and share my wisdom with all of you. This past couple of weeks one of the foods I’ve really been feeling is eggs, so I thought I would give you my favourite healthy egg recipes.
Scrambled Egg Whites on Toast
- 3 egg whites
- 2 slices of brown bread
Of a weekend, I’ll treat myself and have 4 full scrambled eggs on WHITE bread, yes, WHITE. But I tend to stick to an 80/20 diet. during the week, I’ll eat healthy, and during the weekends I’ll eat what I want (and I’m making myself sound healthy here, I actually have a cheap waffle maker that is my pride and joy and I have waffles every Sunday), but on weekdays I am careful. It doesn’t mean I need to make a great effort to change my diet. Little swaps here and there like white bread for brown bread and full eggs for egg whites really make a difference.
- Separate the eggs (check this out for a gross egg separator)
- Whisk them and add the other ingredients
- Melt a teaspoon of oil in the pan
- Turn the heat down to medium and pour in the egg whites. Keep stirring until cooked
- Do the toast however you want, I have mine medium rare
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 6 Egg whites
- 2 x bell peppers
- Herbs and spices to your taste/salsa (optional)
This is an egg recipe that is close to my heart because all you actually do is chuck everything in a muffin tin. You PHYSICALLY can’t go wrong with this one, it’s tasty and you get some good nutrients first thing.
- Separate the eggs
- Chop the peppers and the onion so they re around the same size
- Put the peppers and the onion in the muffin tin holes
- Pour in the egg whites
- Add in the herbs and spices to your taste and cook until the egg starts to get hard and add the cheese on top for the last ten minutes
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 x packet of Quinoa
- Salmon fillet breast
- 2 x eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
This one has got enough nutrients in it to shake a stick at. It’s a big breakfast and this is the sort of thing you can eat in the place of a fry up, if you are having a healthy week.
- Cook the Quinoa as per the packet
- Put the salmon breast in foils and season to your taste. You could even follow my Mediterranean Salmon recipe
- Around ten minutes before the salmon is cooked, poach the eggs
Homemade Egg McMuffin
- One breakfast muffin
- One egg per muffin
- One slice of tomato per muffin
This is another one that will give you a lot of energy through the day. If you are a fan of Mcdonald’s, and let’s face it who isn’t, you can grab some breakfast muffins and make your own Mcdonald’s breakfast that is actually healthy!
- Slice the tomato
- Boil the spinach
- Poach the egg
- Toast the muffin slightly and add everything together
Microwave Poached Egg On Toast
- 2 x eggs per person
- Wholemeal bread 2 slices
I Had to add this one in, because no one ever believes how easy it is to make perfectly poached eggs in the microwave with a cup. I am about to share with you, my best BEST cooking knowledge!
- Fill up a cup per egg around halfway with water
- Put a very small splash of vinegar in the water
- Crack the egg into the water
- Put a plate over the top of the cup
- Put the cup and plate in the microwave for one minute
- Keep checking every 20 seconds. You will need to get used to your own microwave to see how much time it takes
- Toast the toast to your preference